Sunday, October 24, 2010

Part Sixteen

“Here comes the Sun”

It’s a beautiful day on the Prairie this Sunday. What were huge downpours at O’Fallons, Nebraska on Saturday afternoon, which then become more downpours as I headed to North Platte for the night finally stopped some time before 11pm CDT.

I have been fascinated with weather all of my life. Goodness knows at News8 that I have asked every weatherman on our staff questions about what is going on, will I be able to outdoor work this weekend, how early am I going to have to leave for work when it gets just plain nasty out there.

But there has been one thing missing on this trip….snow. In October 2002 and October 2008, I had snow. And both times it occurred in Sidney, Nebraska. And what a pretty sight it was, particularly here on the Prairie. Not that I’m complaining. But I sure had some decent timing the last 2 trips.

Rainfall has been minimal at best. The first Monday I was here in Kearney, I had to dodge the raindrops and pretty much stay in the car at times and just write. And then there was this past Friday and Saturday. Back in Connecticut, you really can’t see the clouds for the trees in our state. But out here, it’s like looking at a big panoramic view. And you gaze up, or should I say, gaze out at the clouds in these big skies and try and figure out where the rain is and how soon it will be on top of you. And then you can be getting poured on and look out in the distance and see the clears skies that were ahead of the cloud line. And let us not forget about having these big skies to help you locate and keep an eye on possible tornadoes.

And considering how far a reach the radio stations have out here with no suburbia and dense trees to attenuate their signals, they do the forecasts all right but in sections. For example, KRVN in Lexington, Nebraska covers all of Nebraska, south central South Dakota, and the northern half of Kansas. And the forecasts on the radio take a good 3-4 minutes to give out to cover this huge service area.

So if you really would like to study weather and see what these big skies can provide, take a spin out to the Midwest. You will not be disappointed.

I leave North Platte just after 10am CDT and it is a leisurely drive towards Kearney. Past the auto graveyard in Maxwell. And as I come into Brady, it dawned on me that I had mentioned the rusty brown pedestrian footbridge, which makes a great place to watch the action but didn’t think to take a picture. And so, here it is:


And as if on cue, UP once again provides the entertainment:


And in Gothenburg, Nebraska, it’s “fill ‘er up” as grain cars are lined up at the local grain elevator to get their fill of corn kernels.


And we can’t forget our friends at Cozad:


And the corn piles high in Elm Creek:


I enter Kearney just after 12 Noon CDT and there is that funny looking sign I always see:


“LIPS” stand for “Lisa’s Instant Printing Services”. Clever.

And while we’re at it, a few snapshots of our host city for today. You’ve heard of Bob’s Discount Furnture and Raymour & Flanigan?? Well, here in Kearney, you have Bruce Furniture:


And the bigger Nelson’s Furniture & Flooring:


Both are across the street from each other on Central Avenue. Want to play the piano?? Help yourself!!


And what do you do with an old movie theater:


Imagine that!!

And let’s not forget the blossoms of fall:


So it is a leisurely afternoon of watching trains:


Coal loads going East:


And getting caught up on some reading.

Monday we head to Columbus and the last leg of our trip before going home Tuesday morning. We’ve got one more part to do. Please stay tuned.

I’m Philip J Zocco. On the Road. In Kearney, Nebraska.

No comments:

Post a Comment